Sunday 15 January 2017

Feeling animated

Well I've committed to the new design now, there are some on the website and cartoon sites, I've included one in my spinning newsletter and sent out the digest email with some of the new toons.

One odd thing is that some of the old jokes (some of which I really like) don't seem to sit right with the new look - it's as if they've gained different personalities with their makeover.... We'll see what happens, but new jokes seem to be coming to me so I'll just go with the flow...

Another new development is trying animation for the first time. I've had it in mind to try for some time, but never taken the plunge. It definitely seemed right for this one - 'speed lines' to indicate that the turbine is turning wouldn't be half as good as actually having it discreetly turning in the background.



6 comments :

  1. I haven't received your newsletter..does this mean I won't hear about how your son is now President of Poland or your daughter has developed a cancer vaccine? This leaves me verklemped...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Shiela - amazing work, but I feel as you now need to describe the jump to an animated frame. You cant just drop that in and gloss over it!!

    The new look is great BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marty - the 'newsletter' aint about me! I know exactly what you mean about those family newsletters and it's not something I'd EVER enter into while of sound mind (well, maybe only in jest....) http://hand-spinning-news.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick - not sure what you mean about describing the jump. Hopefully it's a step forward in the effectiveness of the cartoon, but technically it's not a big step - you know how it's done, it's only a matter of producing the still frames (as before) with small changes.

    One thing I do feel quite strongly is that it should be done with much discretion. I'm not interested in making full animation, ie using the animation to tell the story. I think less is more here, it should only be done to enhance background elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did a subtle job, gotta hand it to you.... but I still think it's worth talking about. Things like timings and number of steps for the sails and how you went about deciding on these.

      Delete
  5. If I can't expect Walt Disney quality animation here...what can i rely on?...it's time to consult my Bible...Toon:verse 2..the gospel of Zap...

    ReplyDelete