Sunday 6 November 2016

Watch & Learn

Area 5.1 Comic - Watch & Learn

I genuinely am intrigued by my Tomtom fitness watches ability to monitor sleep. It has a heart rate monitor that shines a light onto my wrist to pick up blood pulses, but over night this sensor isn't lit. Right now I have no idea how it works.

It's seemed to me the basis of a cartoon, and all I needed was a punchline.

Area 5.1 - Watch & Learn (5th Nov 2016)

To the Punch

My working punchline was,...

LGM1: "It even tells me how much sleep I'm getting, but I have no idea how it knows"
LGM2: "You'd better not wear it at work then"

In retrospect it didnt feel like a very good joke, so I went with something inspired by snoring. And for a watch loaded with sensors I think it's a better idea.

Drawing Style

I'm sticking with the two-tone shading, and this time I went slightly bolder. It gives the impression of them standing in a harsher light. I went with an empty background because it didnt feel important, and it gives it a very clean style. The only difference from a normal set of LGM's was the inclusion of the headband.

2 comments :

  1. I love the headband, as I've said elsewhere, I think that's really funny. I hadn't noticed the more contrasty shading, but can see it now you've pointed it out, it's interesting what a difference that makes. I hadn't noticed the lack of background either.

    I really like your original punchline - if anything I'd choose that one..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,.. I liked the original punchline right up to went I was putting it together then it just didnt seem to make much sense anymore.

      Delete