Monday 31 October 2016

Happy Hallowe'en

This is my Halloween effort. I'm completely baffled by the fact that Americans seem to be treating the thing as a big fancy dress party, and any character, however benign, seems to be acceptable.

I didn't want to spend too much time on this, and I'm pleased with the result given that I simply sketched the kids with one eye on some reference pictures (of the actual characters) on another screen. Then lined them in and coloured them. It only took an hour or two altogether.
I can't remember what I originally thought of as the caption - some kind of rant like 'when did Halloween turn into one big fancy dress party?' But then I thought about the kids 'terrorising' people like me who just want a peaceful evening, and the quote from Thriller (read by Vincent Price) came to mind. That seemed to make a new joke, that these 'orrible kids are the new demons of this traditional old feast day. Not a great joke, more of a ranty observation, but that's what 'Observing' is for.

3 comments :

  1. This brings to mind a guy named Harvey Pekar who wrote the American Splendor comic books. There's a movie about him called..what else?..American Splendor..but anyhoo, when he was a kid he went door to door on Halloween as himself. He was an odd guy...even as a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I still don't really 'get' drawing episodes from your own life (it's incredibly common on platforms like Tapastic) there's something very compelling about these guys. Hope you're doing OK Marty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps something underplayed, but I love the background on that artwork Shiela.

    ReplyDelete