Friday 29 September 2017

Slow food

We've talked about whether you find a good joke by working through a situation and then thinking of the twist, or whether you start with the twist and work backwards.

This is the start of a story that I like. I'm convinced there's a funny and unexpected ending but I don't have it yet.

The squirrel buries a nut, Then comes back in winter but the ground is covered with snow, and our little hoarder looks puzzled. Then it's spring and there's a shoot coming out of the ground. Yvonne has observed all this.

The best end I have so far is that the squirrel comes back and trips over the seedling.

Maybe Yvonne munches the seedling with a comment about slow food, or helluva way to crack a nut. Or something.

[update] this is my favourite ending so far. Yvonne tells him she knew where it was, he only had to ask for help. He says he was fine, as his stomach rumbles.

(silhouette, sunset behind them)

5 comments :

  1. I like the idea of the acorn/nut turning into a tree, but there's a slight problem with timing on that one. The only thing I can make sense is if the squirrel is reminiscing about an acorn that was so big that his great, great, great grandfather had once buried here, and that no squirrel had since managed to find it..... where it went to is one of life's great mysteries.
    Sheep is looking upwards while he's saying all this.
    Squirrel says "What are you looking at?"
    Show wide angle with huge oak silhouette, "Oh, nothing!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or maybe it's an oak leaf fluttering down that makes the sheep look up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That twist is really good and not one that had crossed my mind...! (squirrel not knowing that the acorn becomes a tree).

    I went with my best thought (squirrel not asking directions despite being hungry). After drawing it I didn't find it funny any more but slightly sad. (the combo of sunset and rumbly tummy).

    I'll make one or two more spin-offs from this, and I'll see how the squirrel develops as a character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry if my reply was a little too late for you to consider, but as is often the case I needed to sleep on it. My idea was that neither the squirrel or sheep knew that oaks grew from acorns.

    The leaf was supposed to be a poetic hint missed by both.

    I'm sure most 'natural' trees exist because squirrels forget where they've buried their food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's alright, It would be stupid to expect immediate answers, and the idea of 'buffering' (which I'm trying but failing to do) is that these ideas get lots of time to mature (or be rejected) and eventually be picked in a 'survival of the fittest' style.

    Looking back (right to the start) there are some ideas I'm really proud of. Similarly, I notice this with the 'dailies' - a few ideas are real gems, others seem 'fillers'. What great quality there would be if all of us just put finished work into a bag for selection, say a year later!

    ReplyDelete