Wednesday 12 July 2017

Cartoon Challenge - Single Frames

This is my version of the single frame cartoon with caption which is taken out of context to form the joke. For it to work it has to be a well know saying or item, and so I chose this euphemism on a whim.


Finding the saying as your starting point isn't so easy, I think I must have scanned through hundreds before I stumbled across this one. At first I was going to hint at it, but after drawing the cartoon I decided the line must appear otherwise people won't get it.

5 comments :

  1. That's really funny, a quality joke! I wouldn't recognise it as being your drawing style, but if that's because you turned it out quickly, then it's gained something from that.

    I suppose there are always bonus comedy points to be gained from lavatory humour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - you have to publish that one. If it doesn't qualify for Fun Streak then you should invent a new series for publishing this and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I agree - finding a suitable phrase is pretty difficult when you go out looking for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I'm really glad you liked it because I started to think near the end that I'd "fluffled it".

    I started out with that phrase and the idea of someone pointing another person (possibly blindfolded) into the door or a china shop. There'd be a dialgue like "Just walk straight ahead, through the door and it's in there". Then the caption would be simply "Pointing Percy at the porcelain", but it felt very clumsy.

    I decided quite quickly to make it Thomas Crapper's china shop (not sure he sold this way!) and it gave me the oportunity of linking it with the water closet.

    It plays on your intelligence, you have to know who TC was and what he's famous for, and also you have to have heard the euphemism.

    Glad you liked it... I'll post it on Funstreak today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, perhaps one of the rules is you have to actually state the phrase for it to work, not just hint at it. You did that, and it gave me that instant laugh.

      Delete