Tuesday 11 July 2017

Building a Scene From a Photograph

Introduction

My recent X-Fails series of cartoons featured an alien supposed to be buried in a grave yard. A trawl of internet images returned a good photo of the Aurora Cemetery sign from wikipedia.

I decided to use this as my starting point.

The Aurora Cemetery Sign from Wikipedia

Thinking Outside the Box

I know it's an over-used term, but if the edge of the photo is the box then what I was missing was outside of this. I decided to flip the image and drop a single vanishing point.


Building on the image using perspective

It became quite easy to copy and paste those stone columns and fences, reducing the size each time. I then extended the horizon, added my characters, a smattering of tombstones and a little bit of colour.

The completed image
Link to comic..


No comments :

Post a Comment