The IdeaA recent social network posting showed a list of top 50 bad habits, and while I didn't bother reading it, I did consider that even aliens might go for this sort of trash too. So I set out to come up with a list related to aliens, and it turned out to be more difficult than I thought.
Here's my list:-
- Not washing the probe between jobs.
- Preoccupied with cows?
- Always holidays in Roswell?
- Abduction / Body Snatching.
- Obsessed with crop circles.
- Buzzing air force pilots.
- Ruling primitive planets.
- Always whistling the same 5 note tune.
- Leaving large drawings and lines in the deserts.
- Always needing more space?
- Taking Zambo's (God's) name in vain.
- Trigger happy?
- Prefer to work nights.
- No atmosphere at their parties.
- Watching too much TV.
OK some of those are just jokes rather than bad habits, but like I said, I (or rather we) struggled a little just to get this many. (Thanks to Julie and Shiela for your help, it would have been a small list without your input.)
Evolving The Idea
It occurred to me these sorts of things are commonly seen in trashy magazines, so I thought it'd be fun to create a parody. This got me thinking about additional articles so googled a bit and came up with the following:-
- Fake advert for slimming supplement.
- Gossip section.
- What your raygun says about you.
But once I'd started drawing it up I thought it would be nice to draw a cartoon from the aliens perspective. I came up with Humanz, a simple stickman based strip, and dropped the raygun idea.
Here's the completed work..
|Area 5.1 Bad Habits List Cartoon|
When I came to writing in the bad habits I wanted them to be easy to read. (After all this was the primary joke!) So I chose quite a large uppercase style which limited the width of the text. This meant I had to play around with the words a little and even swapped out the atmosphere joke for an Erich Von Daniken gag. Some might not get it, but if it makes them google his name then I figure I've enriched their lives a little.