Saturday 17 December 2016

Christmas gifts #1

This is the first of my Christmas ideas.

It's riffing on the theme of men thinking it's OK to buy household appliances as Christmas gifts. And lingerie which satisfied his fantasies rather than hers.

It's always difficult to know exactly how far to anthropomorphise these characters (ie the mention of vacuuming and cooking etc is going pretty far) and more importantly being consistent with that. The joke tends to come first and I'm not really thinking about how human they are, what they can do and what they can't. I'm not sure whether all that is important or not.

Also - I'm not sure whether this belongs in the x-rated ones, or the mainstream ones - what do you think?

5 comments :

  1. If it wasn't so close to the truth!

    I bought an irobot scoober floor cleaner a couple of years ago and everyone thought I was going to spend a couple of weeks on the sofa for that. But I think there's a subtle difference, and I just to be sure I addressed it to us both.

    But it's not x-rated. If you aren't old enough to understand what slow cookers are then you won't be offended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - you're right. O the innocence of youth.

    I do have visions of the entire male readership looking baffled and saying "what's wrong with that..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that just makes it more funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cartoon! I learned from my dad's mistakes on gift giving and have never bought my wife appliances or decorative wear for birthdays or Xmas. But what gave me my biggest chuckle was the down turned 'mouth' on the Amazon box! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Marty, I'm so glad you like it and extra pleased that you spotted the logo! While messing around with the logo I noticed that the upside down version looked like a 'falling trajectory' which seemed darkly appropriate for drone-based delivery and amused me no end. I've noticed with some of yours that these little extras are very effective.

    ReplyDelete