Saturday 9 January 2016

copying to learn?

I thought the best way to become better at this was to copy characters that I spot and like. Now I'm getting the urge to pick up a pen when I see a nicely-drawn character.



Almost immediately I felt the need for a wider pen. The widest one I have is 0.8 which seems pretty thick but in these examples the thickest (single) lines look pretty thin. Plus colouring in Mickey's ears was laborious. Actually not in a bad way - I started to see what these people are getting out of the adult colouring books!

4 comments :

  1. I copied Disney's Pluto once on DrawQuest and found it trickier than I thought it would be. But I can see a lot of similarities with Mickey's head.

    But I also think it's a good idea to copy other people's work, because only then will you learn the techniques. Just looking isn't enough, once you've drawn them you start to "know" them.

    I'm finding the cartoon eyes and mouth to be really interesting with the Alien work. I found a few good cheat sheets on Pinterest that I can pull ideas off. I want to try and concentrate on making the face tell the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell you what is tricky - and makes for a polished look...

    ... getting those curves nice and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely hit the nail on the head there. I realise now that's what makes some of the ones I've been looking at look so professional - perfect curves and lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using the 'Steady Stroke' tool in Sketchbook to help smooth out my curves. It really makes a huge difference.

    I've also been using the Symmetry Y tool with things like eyes. You get a perfect pair then and it saves you copy and pasting a horizontally flipped version.

    ReplyDelete